Review: Ready Player One
Well-written and well-paced, but tepid overall.
Situations that might apply to people who are interested in reading but remain uncertain about picking up the book:
- If you like trivia and loved the 80s, then by all means jump right in.
- If you don't care for trivia but liked the 80s, just dip a toe in (e.g. sample the first chapter).
- If you didn't like the 80s and look back on the decade with disdain (because memories of big hair and pleather still haunt you), then it's probably best to sit this one out.
- If you don't remember the 80s (because you weren't born yet), then this would probably seem like an adventure. After reading, you could tell friends you almost felt like you went back into the past.
- If you sort of remember the 80s but feel neutral about the premise of the book (like I was), then you'd probably feel neutral about it until the very end.
- If you enjoyed Slumdog Millionaire and you're looking for something similar, look elsewhere.